The lovely and talented ladies at Creative Carte Blanche have a new experiment for us! For Creative Adventure No. 2 we are to use three things that do not go together - Corrugated Card, Lace and Metal.
I had been watching a video on the Wanderlust experience where we learned how to re-purpose an old book. I don't really have any old books suitable for re-purposing, but I had the idea of starting from scratch and making a little album from corrugated card, using some techniques I learned through attending an Andy Skinner class last year. I don't have a lot of step by steps today as my album kind of 'evolved'.
To create the cover I used some packaging and started by stripping the top layer. As you can see I did not strip it right back as I wanted some areas that I could decorate.
I coated the 'left over' layer with DecoArt Gesso in white. Once it was dry I coated the gessoed areas with DecoArt Crackle Paste and left it overnight to dry.
Next, I created two 'washes', the first one using DecoArt Fluid Acrylic Paint in Cobalt Teal Hue. I mixed a drop of the paint with about five parts of water and used this to paint over the crackled areas.
The second wash was made with Quinacridone Gold and this was painted over the edges of the album, front and back and allowed to drip down. I also painted the lace with the same wash to give it an aged appearance.
I treated the back of the album in the same way.
For the inside, I cut down two manila folders and created three signatures. These were gessoed and painted in DecoArt Americana Deco Chalky Finish paint in blue (ADC20). I attached the three signatures using some string and then decorated the string on the outside of the album with some wooden beads from my stash.
I used some embossing paste, stamping, remnant rubs and die cuts to decorate the inside. I did not do anything too bulky as I want to add photographs at some point. Since I used the manila folders, there are a few pockets for storing things in too.
The Idea-ology piece was rusted using a mix of DecoArt Fluid Acrylics in Paynes Gray, Quinacridone Gold and Cobalt Teal Hue, followed by a layer of DecoArt Ultra Matte Varnish. The butterflies were stamped onto a piece of aged book page, the central butterfly was coloured and then covered with DecoArt Liquid Glass (Clear), followed by a coat of Ultra Matte Varnish.
I really enjoyed making this little album, the finished album measures 6" x 6".
I am entering this into Creative Carte Blanche Triple Trouble Creative Adventure #2.
Thanks for looking, I'll see you again in a day or so. Thanks so much too, for all your lovely well wishes, we are slowly getting back to normal!
Hugs, Anne xxx