As those of you who look at my blog regularly (and thanks so much to followers old and new), will know, I am trying to use up products from my stash rather than go out and buy lots of new things. I may have to make an exception for Tim's new things though..........
In my stash I had some lovely things gifted to me some time ago by lovely blog friends - lace from Lynn and some burlap from May. Thank you ladies! Aren't crafters just the most kind and generous folk? I also used a wooden spool, some crocheted lace and flower and some lovely stick pins, all from my stash. I have had a crackle paint set for years so I cracked that open too. So far, so good! In the January edition of Craft Stamper there was an article, with instructions on how to make a Pin Cushion using a wooden spool and apart from making my cushion slightly larger and using a larger spool, I basically followed the instructions given and this is what I produced:
I started with 4" circles, I cut two from the burlap and one from the lace. I placed the lace circle in the middle of the 'sandwich' and stitched the circles, leaving a small gap and then once turned through, I stuffed it quite well with soft toy stuffing. I then took a length of strong thread (doubled), starting in the middle and working in a figure of eight I sewed from the centre and around the the cushion, pulling the thread quite hard so that I ended up with a puffy segmented piece. I did eight puffs but I think it would work with less segments (and be a lot easier too). To hide the thread workings in the centre I added a button and finished it off with a lovely brown pearl, again, hide the thread.
I then moved on to the base.
I covered the spool with Espresso Paint Dabber and then coated it with Crackle Finish. Once dry I added some cream acrylic paint and allowed the crackles to form. Being impatient I heated it up to quicken the process. Once dry I sanded it back more to give it a more vintage feel and then distressed it more by adding Frayed Burlap distress ink in places. I added another strip of the gorgeous lace to the middle of the spool, added a piece of cotton lace and some brown ribbon for a contrast trim and then added a hand crocheted flower with a brown pearl added to the centre. I think you can see the distressed base a little clearer in this photo.
To finish off I put some beautiful stick pins in the top. It is quite sturdy little piece. Here is a closer look at the top.
Because the January edition of Craft Stamper came out so early I was able to make a few of these to give away as Christmas gifts but this is my first attempt at making one with lace. I was quite pleased at how well it came out and because the lace is backed with burlap it is very strong. It was nice to make something that is also useful too!
So, this is my piece for entry into the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge which is - Love Lace. There is a $50 prize for a randomly selected individual (I was lucky enough to win last time) to spend at Simon Says.
I hope you like my effort and if so I also hope you will leave me a comment. Hugs, Anne x